Divine Holy Spirit Church
Located in: Maia
The small size church in honor to the Holy Spirit was certainly erected around the year 1500 in the place where the existing building nowadays sits.
Given its geographical position and the prompt settlement, which led to the pretense of making Maia a village, Rui Gonçalves da Câmara, on behalf of those who ruled the island, offered a "pontifical de damasco rosado" (religious jewel) to the mother church of Nossa Senhora da Estrela and another one to Maia's church (before 1522). At that time, Maia covered the entire area from Furnas to Fenais da Maia (currently named Fenais da Ajuda).
The church is architecturally rich, with thick pillars and a rich facade made with carved stone, providing harmony and movement. Its large construction began in 1796 and ended in 1825.
The cult was allowed on 15th October of 1812, due to the edification of the chancel and the Blessed Sacrament. The church has an important treasure of silver, gold and paintings. The most distinguished jewel is a silver monstrance dated to 1618, with the mark of the goldsmith "A. Oliveira" (it is the second oldest on the island). The altars gilding and the chancel's paintings were finished in the early 60's.
Open daily: 08:30am - 5:00pm
Church of Our Lady of Ransom
Located in: Lombinha da Maia
The Church of Our Lady of Sorrows, located in Lombinha da Maia was opened and blessed on September 22, 1901.
Its construction began in 1896, on a land given by Jorge Botelho Pacheco, with financial support from individuals and the Parish Council, which granted 30,000 reis.
This building inspired people to persue the dream of making Lombinha a parish. They tried it in March of 1902, in order to avoid walking two kilometers to the nearby church.
In the following year, 1903, the Parish Council offered many religious ornaments to the Church of Our Lady of Sorrows. It also gave a commendation to the priest José de Medeiros Resendes, the new cure of the chapel, who worked long and hard in the dream of making Lombinha da Maia a parish.
For opening, contact: (+351) 968 180 284