Divine Holy Spirit Church
Located in: Maia
The parish of Maia was found around the year of 1500, by a group of settlers led by Inês Maia. The first houses were probably built in the area of Lajinha. As a result, the church in honor to the Holy Spirit and with a small size was certainly raised in the place where the present temple nowadays sits, in the heart of the parish.
Given its geographical position and the prompt settlement of other residents, which led to the pretense of making Maia a village, Rui Gonçalves da Câmara on behalf of those who ruled the island, offered a "pontifical de damasco rosado" to the array of Nossa Senhora da Estrela and another one to the Divino Espírito Santo church of Maia. And this was before 1522. At that time, the place named Maia covered the entire area from Furnas to Fenais da Maia (currently named Fenais da Ajuda).
This church is architecturally rich, with thick pillars that define the three zones, and a rich facade made with carved stone that provides a sensation of harmony and movement. Its construction began in 1796 and ended up in 1825. Moreover, the cult was allowed on 15th October of 1812, as a result of the conclusion of constuction works, namely the chancel and the Blessed Sacrament. The church has an important treasure in pieces of silver, gold and painting. Among jewels, the most distinguished is a silver monstrance dated to 1618, with the mark of the goldsmith "A. Oliveira." It is the second oldest of S. Miguel island. The altars gilding were done in the early 1960s, as well the chancel paintings.
Open daily: 08:30am - 5:00pm
Church of Our Lady of Ransom
Located in: Lombinha da Maia
The Church of Our Lady of Sorrows, located in Lombinha da Maia was opened and blessed on September 22, 1901.
"The construction of this chapel began in 1896, on a land given by Jorge Botelho Pacheco, with financial support from individuals and the Parish Council, which granted 30,000 reis.
The existence of this chapel allowed residents of Lombinha da Maia to persue the dream of becoming a parish, seeking for it in March 1902, to avoid having to walk two kilometers to the nearby church.
In the following year, 1903, the Parish Council not only decided to deliver many religious ornaments to the Chapel of Our Lady of Sorrows, but also gave a commendation to the priest José de Medeiros Resendes, the new cure of the chapel, who had worked long and hard in the dream of making Lombinha da Maia a parish.
For opening, contact: (+351) 968 180 284